Monday, March 10, 2014

From the Carolina Coastline to the Rocky Mountains

I am moving from Charleston, South Carolina to Denver, Colorado!

The cat's out of the bag. There have been few decisions so drastic and exciting in my life. The Rocky Mountains have been on my mind far too long. Ever since I left my home in the Smoky Mountains to run off to graduate in Computer Science in Murfreesboro, Tennessee... and ever since I took a detour in Huntsville, Alabama at their Saturn V rocket to zip down to the coastline of Charleston, South Carolina... I've been searching for an adventure.

I've been finding adventure too. Charleston has been great to me. I wish the best for those who continue to call it home. In Charleston, I met and worked with some of the most wonderful people I know. I partook and witnessed the forming of a new climbing community and boulder'd every week at Coastal Climbing. I even picked up playing the guitar. There's people here I'm going to miss. I'll have to come back and visit sometime.

I chose the photo which best captures one reason why I decided to move. This is me at Arapahoe Basin at ~11,000 feet elevation with Joseph Todd. (more images) I miss my winter snow. I was taking trips to leave the state on weekends to hunt for snow. At the same time, I was taking outdoor rock climbing trips to Rocktown, Georgia and Rumbling Bald, North Carolina and that really got me craving having the mountains in my backyard once more. These trips were ramping up in frequency. These became trips I desired to do every weekend, not just once a month, which was not feasible without moving.
This move is not all about the outdoors. With fervor, I am pursuing my career as a Software Engineer in Denver which is very important to me. It is what I do every day. I need to be creating, building, ceaselessly learning. I had a strong pull towards a job offer in Denver which really excites me.

I am thrilled to be taking the offer. I am very excited about the directions I am choosing in my life. 

7 Comments:

Sarah

Sigh... The snow claims another victim.

Christopher

A'ight when you're bored of Middle Tennessee, you know where we're all migrating to.

Sarah

Even if I snapped and wanted to, there is no way I could get Todd to move even 50 miles further north. He hates the cold with a passion. If it dips below 50 he wraps up in blankets and threatens hibernation. We just now have even more options for places to stay if we come up to ski. ;)

Geddy Lee Israel

Good, go prepare Colorado for my impending arrival.

Anonymous

Fantastic. I love Colorado. I got my NAI certification at Estes Park. I love the Moose..they were everywhere....AND they have magpies there...AND the cutest tiniest squirrels I have ever seen.
I am so proud or you and your adventurous soul. Enjoy your life to the fullest! I love you very much.

brasingtont

You can take the kid out of the mountains, but you can't take the mountains out of the kid. You are definitely just like your Dad and me. Love you! Looking forward to many trips to visit.

davids collage

Watch out for snows

Post a Comment

Christopher Robert Brasington. Powered by Blogger.